Dr. Radhakrishnan Nagar (RK Nagar) is a legislative assembly constituency, part of North Chennai. On November 24th (Friday) election Commission announced the by-election date for the constituency. The nomination and verification phase for the candidates is over as per the latest update. Here are the things you need to about the RK Nagar election.
- Radhakrishnan Nagar constituency has 2.28 lakhs eligible voters out of which 1.10 lakhs are men and 1.17 lakhs are women.
- ADMK has won the past 3 elections in RK Nagar constituency.
- RK Nagar is facing the second by-election in this decade.
- Firstly, After the verdict came in disproportionate assets case (2015) and Secondly, After Jayalalitha demise(2017).
- The by-election was planned in April 2017.Due to the allegations of bribing voter for a vote and TT.V Dinakaran for bribing to the election commission officer for party name and symbol, the election turned out to be a chaos. As a result, the election was canceled by the election commission a week before the election date.
- After all spicy drama by-election date was set to be December 21.
- Out of 145 nomination papers submitted 72 were approved, 13 withdrew the nomination, 59 candidates are the final count.
- Among the 59 candidates, only one is a women candidate.
- Counting of votes will be held on December 24 and the same day the results will be announced.
The results of this election will impact the upcoming local body election. Due to which this election will be a milestone in TN political history. Many youngsters are contesting as independent candidates in this election.